Chikou1306

Gambling causes mental health disorders

i was reading an online article about the gambling disorders, and i thought i should share some points to discuss here !! 

"Pathological gambling has been associated with serious mental illnesses, sometimes as the cause and other times as the result of an untreated mental illness. Depression and anxiety are two of the most common mental illnesses associated with gambling addiction. Some hope that the roll of the dice or the spin of the slot machines can help them have some fun in life and help them relax. In reality, over time it often makes the depression and anxiety worse".

personally i agree with many points of what have been written ! i myself am suffering a lot because of gambling, and i couldnt quit, i really think i must quit as soon as possible before the things become worse, i hurt myself a lot after losing, i lost my social life, my family and friends, and i really think i need to quit before everything gets out of control !! 

if you are experiencing the same issues, then better quit gambling as long as its not late ! i think gambling is really bad for the mental health, it's not a game of fun anymore !!

everyone has a different mental health, if her/his mental is weak then my opinion is do not be advised to play gambling because it can make addicted and justify any ways to win. and if its lose then you will be stressful or even more

9 hours ago, Chikou1306 said:

i was reading an online article about the gambling disorders, and i thought i should share some points to discuss here !! 

"Pathological gambling has been associated with serious mental illnesses, sometimes as the cause and other times as the result of an untreated mental illness. Depression and anxiety are two of the most common mental illnesses associated with gambling addiction. Some hope that the roll of the dice or the spin of the slot machines can help them have some fun in life and help them relax. In reality, over time it often makes the depression and anxiety worse".

personally i agree with many points of what have been written ! i myself am suffering a lot because of gambling, and i couldnt quit, i really think i must quit as soon as possible before the things become worse, i hurt myself a lot after losing, i lost my social life, my family and friends, and i really think i need to quit before everything gets out of control !! 

if you are experiencing the same issues, then better quit gambling as long as its not late ! i think gambling is really bad for the mental health, it's not a game of fun anymore !!

Definitely. Gambling can lead to addiction, which affects a person's way of thinking. Think of it like drugs. Over usage leads to addiction, so much more if continued and not controlled. ✔

9 hours ago, Chikou1306 said:

snipp.. .  ..snipp . .

This link may be helpful for players that needs help but are afraid of unnecessary public judgement.

https://www.begambleaware.org/

This day in age you can make an argument for anything creating a mental health disorder. While I agree that it does cause a chemical overload in the brain sometimes can be described by certain doctors as a “disorder”, I believe that it is only in extreme cases and can’t be considered the normal result, given a larger sample size. As with anything, moderation is key when it comes to any sort of repetitive exercise, whether it be physical, emotional, or in this case, mental. Too many times we are quick to call something a disorder or a disease, when in reality, it literally just may be an overload of one specific thing. For example, people that are obese can claim that they have an eating disorder, when really all it can be is a unhealthy diet and lifestyle.

I can relate to your topic since I experienced it..there is the time that I did not sleep just to gamble and almost no time for my baby.i cannot let go my cp or laptop and sit for almost 24 hours a day.my sister said to me that even I earned in gamble I should not prioritize it cause it affects to my health and to my daughter.its better to quit if I can't manage my time and take care of myself.after she said those to me I realized how stupid I am.i almost forgot I have life better than gambling and I can do it without compromising anything.so I started to meditate and go back to my old self again.now I can gamble and have time for my daughter and can  sleep well without thinking gambling.

honestly it's hard for me to stop gambling but luckily I can still control myself, even though I lost, I can still control myself. I am not angry at anyone, even though there are feelings of annoyance. I don't damage things around me, I look for other activities when I lose to forget my defeat. and I will gamble again when I can forget my defeat

Knowing a limit to set in gambling is a high priority for me in avoiding a mental collapse. As I stated previously, a few gambling sessions doesn’t cause a mental disorder nor a mental pariah that causes issues. It’s the repetitive nature of gambling that can cause a person the mental anguish that would be mis-diagnosed as a “mental disorder”. A mental disorder is something that is caused by an actual event or events such as being born with it or something like PTSD. I am one to think that even the most degenerate of all gamblers don’t particularly have a disorder but more or less a problem with any addictive behavior. Hypothetically cut the gambling out and replace it with alcohol and I would be sure that the person would have a problem with drinking. 

9 hours ago, stevenwonder said:

Knowing a limit to set in gambling is a high priority for me in avoiding a mental collapse. As I stated previously, a few gambling sessions doesn’t cause a mental disorder nor a mental pariah that causes issues. It’s the repetitive nature of gambling that can cause a person the mental anguish that would be mis-diagnosed as a “mental disorder”. A mental disorder is something that is caused by an actual event or events such as being born with it or something like PTSD. I am one to think that even the most degenerate of all gamblers don’t particularly have a disorder but more or less a problem with any addictive behavior. Hypothetically cut the gambling out and replace it with alcohol and I would be sure that the person would have a problem with drinking. 

Gambling sessions may lead to mental issues especially those who play without setting the amount they can afford to lose, what excessive playing or gambling do from what I've read is that it overstimulates the brain to which our brain system's reward system is weakened making our supposedly pleasurable experiences less, until they don't mean nothing at all. I believe the thrill will eventually go away, while we (gamblers:especially problem gamblers) would try to do other stuff that can give us what we wanted, when we can not have these "happy" experience, it is more likely that we drown in depression. And depression is a mental disorder if I am not mistaken,

I really agree with the article, I myself feel gambling has made me upset and irritable, when I get defeat and losses are very large. I will be very emotional and when meeting people feel annoyed eager to beat him and if anyone interferes I will immediately vent to that person.

On 25/02/2020 at 03:09, Juniorokogun said:

That's true only when you take it as a full time job...but when you do it for fun...I doubt if the headache will come. I am a living testimony of this.

as i said bro, there are many other ways to have fun, gambling meant to make money in the first place, if you want fun you can find it elsewhere, and even if you play with what you afford to lose , you will still refuse to lose, and you will come back , and after a while you will find yourself lost more than you can afford.

But also their is limiting yourself. I deposit onto the brother site Stake only the amounts I can make (affordability) as there is now a limit on my own personal bank card. It stops me from depositing and losing even more. It's a great feature for me. However as Chikou1306 stated... gambling has to make money, you can't always win even with the highest funds, there is always a way that gambling strikes your weaknesses.

Let's face it gambling leads to addiction and any addiction could lead to anxiety, depression and other mental disorders. I think the best you can do is to manage your gambling habit as much as you can to avoid severe addiction, so you can enjoy it as a way to have fun and distraction.

53 minutes ago, DarkBlood096 said:

But also their is limiting yourself. I deposit onto the brother site Stake only the amounts I can make (affordability) as there is now a limit on my own personal bank card. It stops me from depositing and losing even more. It's a great feature for me. However as Chikou1306 stated... gambling has to make money, you can't always win even with the highest funds, there is always a way that gambling strikes your weaknesses.

15 minutes ago, MrNice23 said:

Let's face it gambling leads to addiction and any addiction could lead to anxiety, depression and other mental disorders. I think the best you can do is to manage your gambling habit as much as you can to avoid severe addiction, so you can enjoy it as a way to have fun and distraction.

okay bros, here is the point, when you play for fun as you said, and with only what you can afford to lose, that amount ( which you can afford to lose ) doubles everytime you play, and with time you will find your self lost more than you can afford to lose,  at that point you will start to recover ! and then you will make things worse ! there are many other ways to have fun, but gambling meant to make money !!!!  wish you got my point, couldnt find better words to explain :) 

That's right and sometimes or mostly gambling couses the family problems most specially if they are addicted to it.one of my friends lose his family and all if his assets and even his own family so i think gambling is only for fun but not for gaining and also for business purposes.

yeah .. i admit what you say is true.
gambling does affect mental health, even if a bet made at gambling makes a gambler sell his assets, it will have a negative impact on his own mentality, even worse than just a mental disorder.

Edited by @zulfandina

11 hours ago, Mahdirakib said:

Gambling doesn't cause mental disorders always. If you can control yourself in gambling then it may give you positive effect. It will help to take good decision on critical moments. And it also helps our brain. 

it applies if a gambler can control himself and not be carried away when experiencing defeat. while the majority of gamblers find it difficult to master themselves and always lose control when they experience defeat. this is very dangerous for a gambler, because not only their mentality will be disturbed, but their possessions will also be the next target

what you say is true gambling addiction can bring feelings that can ultimately lead to mental disorders, although I am also impressed with people who have not experienced the same thing.  in the end something that has an excessively bad effect on life does need to be stopped.

On 19/02/2020 at 02:21, Chikou1306 said:

Yes its really true, its like your going to be crazy. We cant sleep in time and sleeping is very hard when we loss, worse is we cant sleep. Gambling is like a virus to us and make our life useless for a long time, making our health very unhealthy and our family we loss them but not when we are winning a lot. But i for me i am not taking it seriously, when i loss a lot that i hard for making it big but in just one roll and greed lossing it all. :D It like a war that if your winning and make a mistake strategy you will loss in just a second. The end. xD 

On 01/05/2020 at 09:13, Nikola_ said:

what you say is true gambling addiction can bring feelings that can ultimately lead to mental disorders, although I am also impressed with people who have not experienced the same thing.  in the end something that has an excessively bad effect on life does need to be stopped.

I don't think it's just because of gambling addiction. many experience destruction in gambling, but the person is not addicted to gambling, he is just greedy, and in the end loses all the money he has in gambling and causes mental disruption. a feeling of fear began to descend upon his mind, and in the end his mental state began to go down

11 hours ago, @zulfandina said:

I don't think it's just because of gambling addiction. many experience destruction in gambling, but the person is not addicted to gambling, he is just greedy, and in the end loses all the money he has in gambling and causes mental disruption. a feeling of fear began to descend upon his mind, and in the end his mental state began to go down

actually what you say is true, because there are two things that I can consider mental disorders here. 

First is risking all of money for gambling as you said, and the second is excessive anxiety that can arise if someone does not play enough gambling.

22 hours ago, Nikola_ said:

actually what you say is true, because there are two things that I can consider mental disorders here. 

First is risking all of money for gambling as you said, and the second is excessive anxiety that can arise if someone does not play enough gambling.

I think the second point is felt by most gamblers. I think this anxiety occurs because of a gambler's lack of confidence in his own abilities. and in the end he suffered a mental breakdown, did not dare to face defeat, even to the point of being afraid to bet using the deposit he made. if it's like this, it's better for that person to stop playing gambling