Byteking

Bitcoin mining difficulty, when all coins are mined.

I was wondering, what will happen to bitcoin mining difficulty when all coins will be mined.

In my opinion difficulty will decrease because there will be no more new coins to mine, only fee.

what are your thoughts?

Why then will mining be needed if there is nothing to mine? Is that only to confirm transactions. It seems to me that so easy mining will not end. Perhaps there will be an issue of additional coins Bitcoin. Time will tell.

When a block is mined, the block subsidy is divided among the miners who contributed their hashpower in mining that block proportionally. Once all the blocks get mined the miners will only mine the transaction. Because the miner is like a third party in the consensus of agreeing to the transaction being done between the parties involved. They will still be paid miner fees though.

That might happen. For now, Bitcoin remains the most popular non-centralized virtual currency, but there is no guarantee that its position will remain that way. There is already another set of currencies inspired by Bitcoin. It might be assumed that significant development would be needed by new currencies to take over Bitcoin in terms of market building capabilities; although this remains unpredictable. Bitcoin is also likely to be able to adopt developments made by rival currencies, as long as it does not change the basic basis of the protocol.

I would assume the difficulty would increase over time even with every single bitcoin mined, due to the fact that blocks are just added onto the ledger. So each time a new block is added, I assume it gets progressively harder to mine due to the entire ledger having more entries.

According to analysts the last bitcoin will be mined somewhere around year 2140. That's 121 years from now and we will most likely all be dead by then so no reason to worry about what's going to happen with bitcoin and miners. Anyway, after all bitcoin is mined the miners will be awarded with fees from transactions and because the price of bitcoin will go up fees will also be high enough to ensure them a good revenue.