CaptainLorca

Why are we afraid of something new?

Not sure if it would be more appropriate for controversial forum section. Anyway.

I often see people who are kind of afraid of some bigger changes like.. quitting the job you hate or moving to another city.

We just seem to stick to the behavior we know and kind of feel save in. Why? I‘m admiring people who are „brave“ and jsut live from one day to another. I believe they‘re more free.. but it’s also a big balling.

I left my job where I have been for almost 10 years because I just wasn’t happy. Until now it was a reeeeally rough time. Lot of stuff that didn’t work out or stuff that made me unhappy. I‘m still not happy. Got a new job and it’s okay. For now. 

Some say „you shouldn’t have done that“ - is that the fear speaking? Of course playing it safe would have been a better option. No doubt. But i‘m Also happy that i made the step and becoming more clear what I actually want.

Do you have something you want to change or did you go through a process like me? I‘m really curious about your stories and of course your view on such huge changes, that often include a bit of a risk.

I don't have a story to contribute that I can think of currently, but here are my thoughts with regards to the question: Why are we afraid of something new?

I think a large component of trying something new is the fear of the unknown. We feel safe in our "comfort zones", and when people get comfortable, and life gets predictable, they don't want to change their lifestyle. Even though their life could be better, they feel safe because they know what to expect.

And it is also difficult to break away from safety and the "known". That's just my 2-sense, hopefully it gives you guys something to think about :)

My changes will of course be ridiculous, but I will still write.
I almost always were lazy with a big letter L, I was too lazy to do simple things, like: take out the garbage, go for bread. In my youth time I went to school and boxing sections by force, but I still liked going to boxing than in school. And now I'm over my school life and the real has begun - Hell 😭
In the morning, that they would not be expelled from the university, I had to change my laziness for activity, went to the dances and practiced not sleeping at lunch. And after that I became, let's say, a -hyperactive fool. 

Well there are people out there who have a fear of changes that are happening around them or in their life it is basically called Metathesiophobia ( Fear of change ) . We can't question if other like or not like changes. 

To be honest I am graduating of the course that I dont like because my parents choose it for me, I dobt know if I will pursue it or find another profession 😭

2 hours ago, Joshreyes said:

To be honest I am graduating of the course that I dont like because my parents choose it for me, I dobt know if I will pursue it or find another profession 😭

Thats what I‘m after. I made something I actually didn’t want. Now i‘m Trying to make it better. Left my job.. but also was a huge step into the unknown.