UltraChief

[PSA] WinRAR exploit being used to steal Bitcoins, Update it ASAP

Primedicers please go through this if you are using WinRAR of version below 5.70 and have bitcoin in a wallet on the same computer.

A 19 year-old flaw was discovered by Check Point which affects WinRAR version 5.70 and below. This flaw can be exploited and used to drop a payload on your computer which loads on startup to steal your balance. It happens when a unpatched WinRAR version is used to open a fake ACE file disguised as a rar file but containing a malicious program.

If you use WinRAR please update it to the latest version which is the beta 5.70 (or higher if by the time you read this new version has been pushed in), or use an alternative to WinRAR for opening .rar files and/or compression purpose.

More info can be found here :

https://threatpost.com/winrar-flaw-500-million-users/142080/

https://cryptodailygazette.com/2019/03/08/bitcoin-under-attack-winrar-exploit-can-make-millions-of-victims-patch-it-now-or-lose-crypto/

This is horrible! Winrar is used by people all around the globe, and the fact that some degens have gone this far to steal from them is revolting! I hope the word of this gets around fast. I'm updating mine right away, thanks for the heads-up @UltraChief

Thank goodness I don't use winrar. I use 7-zip for all my zipping and unzipping. Thank you for issuing this warning though. I had no idea that winrar could be used as a hacking tool. They should update it asap, and make the beta version live to the public asap.

10 hours ago, williamsh said:

Thank goodness I don't use winrar. I use 7-zip for all my zipping and unzipping. Thank you for issuing this warning though. I had no idea that winrar could be used as a hacking tool. They should update it asap, and make the beta version live to the public asap.

Beta version is already up which has patched this exploit. 

9 hours ago, Kate said:

This would affect people who only hold their bitcoins in bitcoin wallet which are installed on the computer am I right ?

It is written in the opening post.

On 10/03/2019 at 20:37, UltraChief said:

It is written in the opening post.

I just wanted to make double sure :P 

Also successfully uninstalled winrar gonna use poweriso instead will use winrar after a few weeks.