Kurian

Hinduism: Oldest religion in the world!!

"I'm a Christian but i'm sure that my ancestors were Hindu before they converted to Christianity."

India a.k.a Hindustan,  meaning "the place of Hindus". Hinduism is the world's third most popular religion, with around 750 million followers. The religion of Hinduism originated in Northern India, near the river Indus, about 4000 years ago and is the world's oldest existing religion. Hinduism is practiced by more than 80% of India's population. Hinduism has no founder, single teacher nor any prophets. 
Hinduism is not a Single Religion. Hinduism is the practices of a variety of different religious groups which come out of India.

World famous Yoga practices were developed from Hindu sacred texts Vedas.. Hindu sacred texts are the source of limitless knowledge. I really recommend people to know more about Hinduism. I admire their culture, traditions and their true belief on their deities. Lots and lots of foreigners come to India to learn and research about Hinduism every year. I am ashamed of myself that, as an Indian citizen i never showed interest in studying more about Hindu mythology and mysticism while people from other countries spend lot of money and time to learn and research about this oldest religion. Even our community has people who are interested in Hinduism. 

Do you know Hindu religion has 330 million Goddesses and Gods??

No one has a list of the 330 million goddesses and gods, but scholars state all deities are typically viewed in Hinduism as "emanations or manifestation of gender-less principle called Brahman, representing the many facets of Ultimate Reality"

My favorite Hindu deity is Lord Shiv 

CRkqzJrUkAAamLy.thumb.jpg.d220aa09efa3a55b997558bb3f9693b4.jpg

What's your view on Hinduism?? Share your ideas and views..

I hope this would be a platform for people to know more about this religion..

Edited by Kurian

Hinduism’s view of gambling thus is conditioned by the ideas of karma and reincarnation. Gambling is specifically forbidden according to the most ascetic Hindu practices, while less stringent sects tend to look at the motivations and outcomes of gambling to determine its morality. In general, gambling for entertainment would be frowned upon.

1 minute ago, CrystalBlox said:

Hinduism’s view of gambling thus is conditioned by the ideas of karma and reincarnation. Gambling is specifically forbidden according to the most ascetic Hindu practices, while less stringent sects tend to look at the motivations and outcomes of gambling to determine its morality. In general, gambling for entertainment would be frowned upon.

I never wanted to relate Hinduism and Gambling.. But, when you mentioned that, "gambling is forbidden in Hindu practices" then, i must say, gambling had a great role in Hindu mythology.. Our Kings were used to gamble. They gambled invaluable treasures, land and even women.. Gambling was one of the reason behind "The great war of Mahabharat ".

I only googled it in relation to gambling because this is a gambling forum. So not relating seems a bit out of place since this platform has it's roots in gambling.
Anyways, as a religion I think it's an interesting one, but I think it also contributes to superstition, which is quite a social problem across India for example.

52 minutes ago, CaptainLorca said:

Thanks for the short input! 330 Million gods? Thats a lot :D... 

But what is hinduism.. these were just facts :/? Is there a special way of living or "rules" to follow?

Actually there is only one supreme power which is "Brahman".  The gods of the Hindu faith represent different forms of Brahman. These gods are sent to help people over time to time..

Coming to your question, Hinduis is a practice, a way of life. Living the life to join Brahman (Moksha). Hindus believe that there is a part of Brahman in everyone and this is called the Atman.

That's why Indians say "Namaste" when greeting others.

xBLOG_1475218399916780478.jpg.pagespeed_ic.zIoDwzIG0B.thumb.jpg.db8f0e604088db0c280b58baa2f9f597.jpg

This is from the belief that everyone has a part of "Brahman" in them.. Actually they are greeting the deity inside us. So, we have to greet them back in the same way.

Talking about rules to follow, i copied something from the internet for better understanding..

What is the Hindu way of life?

For many Hindus there are four goals in human life (purusharthas);

1 Moksha - the release of the soul (Atman) from the cycle of rebirth. 
The individual soul (Atman) unites with Brahman the universal soul. There are different ways to Moksha.

spiritual - involves acquiring spiritual knowledge through yoga and meditation. devotion to god

working selflessly for the good of society.

How a person is reincarnated is determined by karma.

2 Dharma - the code for leading one's life. 
Respect for elders is considered important and many consider marriage as a son's religious duty.

3 Artha - the pursuit of material gain by lawful means.

4 Karma- through pure acts, knowledge and devotion, you can reincarnate to a higher level. The opposite achieves the contrary result.