CaptainLorca

What is your take on the bible and religion?

Hey fellas!

Important: This topic is not meant to offend anybody. Its just how I see things and whats my opinion on that. Therefore: Please be kind to each other and don’t attack anyone for their thoughts of believe. BE NICE!

Ok. The bible.. its actually a collection of books, not just a book. A lot of time has passed by, since I’ve read it, so forgive me if I can’t relate to anything. But I think I still know enough for this discussion :D

For your info: I’m protestant, but I don’t believe in god or jesus, holy ghost or whatever.

I’ll share my view on the bible:

There is a lot.. a lot in it. Something in the Old testament is a paradox to some things in the new testament. We also know that churches are going for the new testament.

For me the bible is just a collection of things to regulate. The most laws, until today, are based on principles in the bible, do not kill someone for instance. That’s good. The religion was necessary on some point in our history. And I think its good that we HAD it (not on all points.. burning witches and so on was not that smart).

Nowadays religion is not that fashion anymore. At least in western Europe and probably North America. Why?

I can’t give you the answer for it. But I think that there Is a lot of scientific influence to it. We just KNOW more than the book. Science gave us answers that this old book cannot offer. I mean.. come on. That old piece is how old? Hundreds of years? And before it was written down it just were stories that were told over and over again?
Did anyone question that?

I mean.. if I tell someone here something.. and that one tells it another and so on.. the outcome of that info will not be the same, as I originally said.

What I’m saying is.. maybe its just not correct?

The next thing. I saw a lot of believers who state “science is evil”.. “evolution is a hoax”. Do you really believe that? I think the books in the bible are just representing how the world was seen back then. They had no clue about anything. They did not know something about evolution. They did not know how earth was really “created”. So they searched for an explanation.

You could say there were god who told Moses what the 10 bids should be. But who knows that for a fact? Maybe he just went up and made up his mind. Maybe it was an Alien race who told him? Who knows that.. let that slip through your mind.

But keep in mind.. the bible is probably not that original, as it looks like. I stop at this point, or the opening post gets too long and nobody will read it.

I think all the 'holy books' (or the more well known ones) form part of one message, just delivered at different times for different people. 

The bible was so 'old' like you say, and out of touch with modern science, probably because at the time, that was the only message the people it was intended for could understand. 

I'm agnostic bordering on atheist, I was brought up to believe in God, then tried to find Him/Her/It on my own, but decided I don't actually believe in a God, anymore than I do a little elf. I discovered If you try hard enough to believe in something you can believe in anything eventually. 

I definitely don't agree with the idea of biological evolution, that the whole diversity on the planet stemmed from one common little cell, or whatever crazyiness they say. Also I don't think God created the world like Genesis says He did, and I don't believe in Darwin's idea about evolution, so not sure where that leaves me lol. 

I did meet some awesome people though while looking for God ;) 

But anyway back the your topic about the bible. What i would say about the bible is as a piece of literature it's really first class. God aside. 

Much of the imagery and metaphor is really powerful, and most of Proverbs is really clever I think. 

One image that I think is powerful metaphor is the verse about 'the armor of God': 

Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 withal taking up the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:  - Ephesians 6: 13-17

You really get to see this knight built up in all his armor. So yeah I think it's a good book, in and of itself. Just for the quality of writing, if nothing else. 

About whether it's factually correct, a lot of the events have independent historical accounts, but then again the more fantastical claims of the bible don't I guess!

For a really interesting take on one of the bible narratives, I recommend Søren Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, he explores what would have been going through Abraham's mind when he was asked to sacrifice his son, and while he's at it, examines what faith is, and how it works logically and ethically! A pretty cool read. 

Funnily he also mentions how if someone today said God had told them to sacrifice their son, and then they took their son up a mountain with a knife and held them on a rock, they'd probably be taken away and put in a mental asylum xD

Edited by Skilful

As said before.. it’s good, in some parts, that we had the Bible.  

But as you just said it’s not up to date. When people choose to believe in it or god, I won‘t have a problem with that.

I‘m just doubting in something spiritual higher like a god. Well maybe more than that.

I think it’s time to let it go slowly and concentrate what’s ahead of us..

evolution? I believe in it, due to scientific facts. But that’s another theme.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLorca said:

evolution? I believe in it, due to scientific facts. But that’s another theme.

Evolution isn't scientific fact, it's a theory :)

Edited by Skilful

On 1/23/2018 at 05:38, Skilful said:

Evolution isn't scientific fact, it's a theory :)

I'm not going to jump in this debate but I will say this... It is very important to care if your beliefs are true or false. It is also importance to know what is fact before making claims... You should never jump into a debate if you are not 100% confident in your understanding of the topic at hand... To say "Evolution is JUST a theory" exposes just how ignorant you are on science. I don't mean this to be rude.. we are all ignorant on a lot of things. Cooking for example.. Pretty ignorant here.. Rocket Science.. pretty ignorant. So i don't talk or make claims about those things. Evolution on the other hand....

"Theory" in science is the graduation point in science. it is THE highest honor. Theories (in science) are composed of facts and laws. A lot of people who do not understand science make the common mistake of confusing :"theory" in science with "theory" in everyday conversation talk. Two completely different things.

The "Theory" you're thinking of is "Hey this guy got murdered but had a lot of money I have a theory! His wife did it!"... In science when you speak of "Theories" you speak of "Germ theory", The "Theory of Gravity". "Theory of Combustion". These things are the BEST working explanations we have and therefor you belittle them by saying "Just a theory". my friend. There is nothing higher in science!

With all that said here is what I say about religion. Where money is involved so goes lies. It's no chance that most religions operate as a business. That's because they are. The business of fear. They scare you into giving them money and feeling bad for being human. Be kind. NEVER treat people how they want to be treated. Jesus had it all wrong! Treat others how THEY want to be treated for you are a fool to assume how someone else wants to be treated. If religion helps you. Great but here is an example and the logic as I see religion today...

Lets say little Jimmy has an uncle. this uncle is amazing! he can do the BEST magic tricks! He always takes care of you. puts you before himself even! He has great advice. He loves everyone very much. Matter fact. he loves you so much he will ask you to kill for him. He will ask you to rape in his name. he will ask you to own slaves! Not only that HE himself harms you! but.. he loves you. He has great advice. He always takes care of you. matter fact you owe him everything. He is the reason your parents got together and had you!!!! Without him you are nothing! 

Now I understand god is even MORE forgivable than your uncle in this example.... but here is the point. You can do 1 million GOOD things for people but as soon as you make it ok or rape, murder, steal yourself.. you are immoral and I want nothing to  o with you. The god of the bible is no different. I don't care if there is a god. I don't care what god it ends up being. I have studied a lot of the major religions and if ANY of those gods are real, and we have no reason to think they are, THEY better BEG for my forgiveness. The gods of religion are even, jealous and childish gods. THANK GOD they are not real!

To close out. Everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want. I would fight and die for that right. I hope you think the same about my beliefs. Love and peace!

***This was the same reply that I did on the other post, but I wanna share it here as well.***

Religion has been there for years, most likely centuries.

But at the end of the day, no matter what your religion is, it is going to be all about "RESPECT" to each others beliefs, and never argue about it.

Example. If I believe that Lord Beerus is my God, my friends respect that and never makes arguments about it. Instead, supports what you believe on and vice versa to them.

The creator of all loves us. And appreciates how we believe our representation of our faith. ??

Bless us all here. ???