jbenjaminy

What Programming Topics Should I Create Content On?

Hey fellow Primedice Programmers!

I’m trying to be more active on this forum, and I feel this section (coding) is where I can make the most valuable content contribution.  I'm considering writing a series of coding-related tutorials/walkthroughs. I wanted to ask you all what languages/technologies you are learning/wanting to learn, so that I can tailor these articles to your interests. Which of the topics below would you find most helpful, and like me to create content for? Thanks in advance! 

*in most cases, I’ll use React for the frontend & Node or Python for the backend in the fullstack web apps, and I’ll use React-Native in the mobile apps
** I’ll use the Primedice API as my API of choice in the applicable examples

Please respond with your top three choices in order (you can simply include the number of the topic, in lieu of the full description).

POTENTIAL TOPICS:

1. Command line fundamentals (primarily using Bash in a Unix environment)
  2. Writing shell scripts to manage your drive’s contents 
  3. Making API requests from the command line & utilizing Python “magic” to parse GIANT return objects
  4. Text-editor keystrokes, tips, & tricks to improve your coding efficiency; customizing your text-editor (specifically for Atom or Sublime)
  5. Git/GitHub config & basic workflow (stage changes, making commits, pushing/pulling to/from remote repository)
  6. Deploying static sites to GitHub pages
  7. Writing Markdown & creating a nice Readme.md
  8. HTML/CSS fundamentals (boring af; pls don’t actually request this)
  9. Writing clean, modular JS code & taking advantage of the best ES6 features
  10. React fundamentals & project set-up (web-dev)
  11. React-Native fundamentals & project set-up (mobile dev, cross-platform)
  12. Using Redux to manage app state in React/React-Native
  13. Setting up a server with Node.js
  14. Using NPM as a package manager &  creating a package.json for your project
  15. Using NPM in a build system for a fullstack JS app (would also cover WebPack, Babel, & LESS)
  16. Setting up a server-side app & RESTful API with Node.js/Express
  17. Setting up a local MongoDB database for your fullstack JS app (with Mongoose)
  18. Setting up a local PostgreSQL database for your fullstack JS app (with Knex.js)
  19. Deploying static content to Heroku (HTML-only sites, stand-alone images, etc.)
  20. Deploying dynamic content to Heroku (fullstack JS or Python apps)
  21. DNS config & routing custom domains to Heroku apps
  22. Initialization & config of PSQL database on Heroku
  23. Initialization & config of MongoDB database on mLab
  24. Using a Firebase database for your fullstack JS app
  25. Using Firebase to handle user registration & authentication
  26. Handling authentication yourself using Passport
  27. Using Bcrypt for basic encryption & securely storing passwords
  28. Handling routing within a web or mobile app
  29. Basics of building games: approaching the logic; translating logic to UI elements
  30. Socket handling (using Socket.io -- enables server-side to selectively emit data to connected clients)
  31. Utilizing local storage in a mobile app for data persistence & offline function 
  32. Persistent authentication in mobile apps
  33. Config & dispatch of local push notifications in a mobile app
  34. Implementing Bluetooth functionality into a mobile app; making a BLE connection & writing data to a Raspberry Pi
  35. Using moment.js to handle time (and make your life easier)
  36. Automated JS testing using Mocha & Chai,
  37. Building a portfolio for your work
  38. Transitioning from a coding hobbyist to a programming professional

Edited by jbenjaminy
corrected typo

Hey very cool topic. Looks like you've already put a lot of thought into this!

My votes are for: 

4. I use sublime, recently found out about the HTML tab shortcuts, and the multiple cursor insertion saved a tonne of time, any other efficiency tips would be great. 

10. Never used react before, so might be interesting to learn a bit about it. 

Happy New Year, in advance!

32 minutes ago, jbenjaminy said:

@CaptainLorca @Mistletoe @nytewind @Serlite Lemme know if you guys see anything that would be helpful/interesting to you. Thanks!

Yay tutorials! Wellllll its not in the choices but can you make a tutorial for using PD API using .net language like c#? :D

12 hours ago, jbenjaminy said:

@CaptainLorca @Mistletoe @nytewind @Serlite Lemme know if you guys see anything that would be helpful/interesting to you. Thanks!

I appreciate your effort.. but wouldn‘t it be a waste of time for a forum and not better placed on a homepage?

that list is long and I won‘t read it :D! But I‘m sure there is a lot that would be interesting.. why don‘t you just work down your list?

23 hours ago, Skilful said:

Hey very cool topic. Looks like you've already put a lot of thought into this!

My votes are for: 

4. I use sublime, recently found out about the HTML tab shortcuts, and the multiple cursor insertion saved a tonne of time, any other efficiency tips would be great. 

10. Never used react before, so might be interesting to learn a bit about it. 

Happy New Year, in advance!

Hi @Skilful

Thanks for posting! Okay these sound good, I think the text-editor shortcuts is a nice one to do first that most people will be able to benefit from, and I'll probably try to do a basic React app using Primedice API a little later on. Thanks again, and happy New Year to you as well!! :D

23 hours ago, Mistletoe said:

Yay tutorials! Wellllll its not in the choices but can you make a tutorial for using PD API using .net language like c#? :D

Hi @Mistletoe!

I’m sorry, but sadly I don’t know .net or C#... I am planning to do some things with the API though, probably some Bash scripts and possibly a simple React-Native app so hopefully you’ll get something out of those!

22 hours ago, maverick528 said:

It is very nice of you to think about posting quality content in forum.

It is greatly appreciated.

I found more or less interesting all your potential topics, will try to come with a top-3 list and post it here.

Thanx again.

Hey @maverick528!

Glad you found the topics interesting! Thanks for your feedback! looking forward to your feedback once I finish a couple of these! Thanks again!

21 hours ago, Ssociety said:

request for 19,20 and 30 :D

Hey @Ssociety!

Thanks for your input! These are some good choices, I'll definitely tackle these -- thinking that would be best to do one of the other tutorials first to create some content to deploy and then we'll deploy it and go over Heroku stuff. Thanks again!

11 hours ago, CaptainLorca said:

I appreciate your effort.. but wouldn‘t it be a waste of time for a forum and not better placed on a homepage?

that list is long and I won‘t read it :D! But I‘m sure there is a lot that would be interesting.. why don‘t you just work down your list?

Hey @CaptainLorca

By "better placed on a homepage" you mean like on my personal site or something? I will likely do this as well, as I invest a lot of time and effort into this kind of stuff. So I usually do reuse the finished content, but basically I'm just giving you guys first pick on what topics to cover :)

I have been planning to create tutorial content outside of this forum anyway, but I appreciate the feedback from people that I know to some extent as opposed to complete strangers or w/e. Anyway, don't worry about reading through the list haha, more concerned with feedback on the finished content anyway, so please take a look after I post a couple of these!

Thanks again!

Edited by jbenjaminy

6 hours ago, jbenjaminy said:

Hi @Skilful

Thanks for posting! Okay these sound good, I think the text-editor shortcuts is a nice one to do first that most people will be able to benefit from, and I'll probably try to do a basic React app using Primedice API a little later on. Thanks again, and happy New Year to you as well!! :D

Hi @Mistletoe!

I’m sorry, but sadly I don’t know .net or C#... I am planning to do some things with the API though, probably some Bash scripts and possibly a simple React-Native app so hopefully you’ll get something out of those!

Hey @maverick528!

Glad you found the topics interesting! Thanks for your feedback! looking forward to your feedback once I finish a couple of these! Thanks again!

Hey @Ssociety!

Thanks for your input! These are some good choices, I'll definitely tackle these -- thinking that would be best to do one of the other tutorials first to create some content to deploy and then we'll deploy it and go over Heroku stuff. Thanks again!

Hey @CaptainLorca

By "better placed on a homepage" you mean like on my personal site or something? I will likely do this as well, as I invest a lot of time and effort into this kind of stuff. So I usually do reuse the finished content, but basically I'm just giving you guys first pick on what topics to cover :)

I have been planning to create tutorial content outside of this forum anyway, but I appreciate the feedback from people that I know to some extent as opposed to complete strangers or w/e. Anyway, don't worry about reading through the list haha, more concerned with feedback on the finished content anyway, so please take a look after I post a couple of these!

Thanks again!

Aww its okay! I can ask seuntjie for it :D