jbenjaminy

Your First BTC Purchase

Hey guys, was thinking back to my first Bitcoin purchase, and specifically how much things have changed since then. Thought it might be interesting to ask you all about your first experience buying/trading Bitcoin, also. Hoping you guys have some fun stories to share. Here are some questions you might want to answer in your response to  get you thinking:

• When was your first trade?
  • What platform did you use to coordinate the trade?
  • What was the payment method you used?
  • How much did you buy?
  • What rate did you purchase the Bitcoin at?
  • Did you know what you were doing?
  • Were you excited/nervous or feeling something else?
  • Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way?
  • Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap?
  • What did you learn from the experience?

Looking forward to your responses!

--------------------------------------------------------

The first time I purchased Bitcoin was mid-2013 or so. I initiated an in-person, cash trade via localbitcoins.com, to purchase 2 BTC at ~$100 per coin. I can still remember the other trader's LBC username -- "BitVenice". He clearly had a lot of trades under his belt, and guided the interaction from the start. We messaged back and forth briefly before scheduling the meeting, deciding on a mutually convenient location, and noting what each of us would be wearing. We arranged to meet at a Panera Bread right next to my apartment, so I walked over, stopping to withdraw $200 from the ATM in the Panera Bread parking lot, on my way.

I remember being excited as I hurried over to the sandwich shop. I was new to Bitcoin and had only ever used it to play poker on sealswithclubs.eu. The only transaction I'd ever been a part of was on the receiving end of a small amount of Bitcoin sent from one of my friends. Still, I was very fascinated by it, and was looking forward to further immersing myself into this exciting, new world. However, after I ordered a drink and grabbed a seat at a small table near the entrance, I remember becoming a little nervous about the whole situation. I simply did not know enough at that point to be confident making the trade, in regard to protecting myself and transacting with Bitcoin securely. I was about to give a complete stranger $200, with no guarantee that I would get anything in return (at least as far as I was aware). What if he just takes advantage of my naivety, and somehow tricks me into thinking I received the Bitcoin, running off with my cash?

Within a few minutes, BitVenice showed up. He walked straight to my table with a big grin on his face. I immediately relaxed, and my fears quickly faded. I feel lucky that he was on the other end of the transaction. He made me feel really comfortable with the whole process, as I'm sure he knew that I was a new trader, and probably anticipated my concerns. He was a great teacher too. He took the time to show me his side of the transaction, and patiently walked me through my side as well, explaining the site's escrow system and other pertinent details along the way. One other funny detail that stands out in my memory is that when I handed him the cash, I clearly remember the woman working at the cash register giving us this disapproving look. I imagine she thought we were doing a drug deal or some other illicit transaction, lol!

Overall, this was a great first experience trading Bitcoin, I learned a lot and have been much more comfortable and sure of myself in every trade I've made sense. I remember walking back to my apartment following that first trade, and just thinking how cool the whole event was. Bitcoin was still so obscure at that point, so it was really rare and special to meet someone, in person, who had even heard of Bitcoin, let alone who was as deeply involved in that world as BitVenice. I doubt that I would be as involved in Bitcoin as I am today, had this experience not been so exceptional.

Edited by jbenjaminy
added my own experience

I buy my first coins from an local exchange.everything went smooth.i dont remember the amount but i was too happy .. :)

when i buy it was between 250-300 USD Price range .. now its crazy you know :P

1 hour ago, togiy said:

I buy my first coins from an local exchange.everything went smooth.i dont remember the amount but i was too happy .. :)

when i buy it was between 250-300 USD Price range .. now its crazy you know :P

Haha, nice experience @togiy, glad it was a positive one! And I remember feeling "too happy" after my first trade as well. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by jbenjaminy
moved content

When was your first trade?

Roughly around 2015 I think? Between 2015-2016.

What platform did you use to coordinate the trade?

A personal forum that I probably shouldn't disclose here for whatever reason it may be.

What was the payment method you used?

I actually used Runescape Gold as currency. I bought online currency with online currency haha!

How much did you buy?

I bought about $70 worth of it, was a pretty exciting experience.

What rate did you purchase the Bitcoin at?

I can't actually remember tbh.

Did you know what you were doing?

Definitely not, but it seemed exciting nonetheless.

Were you excited/nervous or feeling something else?

Excited!

Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way?

Yeah, it was really easy. The user guided me with wallets and information.

Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap?

Successful indeed.

What did you learn from the experience?

I should of held onto that Bitcoin hahaha!

1 minute ago, GokuHF said:

Roughly around 2015 I think? Between 2015-2016.

A personal forum that I probably shouldn't disclose here for whatever reason it may be.

I actually used Runescape Gold as currency. I bought online currency with online currency haha!

How much did you buy?

I bought about $70 worth of it, was a pretty exciting experience.

I can't actually remember tbh.

Definitely not, but it seemed exciting nonetheless.

Excited!

Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way?

Yeah, it was really easy. The user guided me with wallets and information.

Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap?

Successful indeed.

I should of held onto that Bitcoin hahaha!

This was really interesting, as I've never used Runscape gold as a payment method. Sounds pretty cool! And I definitely can relate to that feeling of excitement, as I also felt this in my first trade. It's awesome that the other trader guided you through the transaction -- this is the exact same thing that happened for me! One of the things I love about Bitcoin is how apt the members of its community are to welcome others and show them the ropes, and everything I know is from kind people who took the time to teach me something. Thanks for sharing @GokuHF!

Never bought a single coin.

Started my journey by hearing from someone about btc, I did the research and got into the faucets, I was claiming them (around 300 per hour on freebitcoin :D) and that would be all

Then I met primedice and started to play with faucet there, also did a deposit later from my faucets to get busted ^^

Then I won a lottery on yolodice for 0.1 BTC, and I used that right so today I'm owning some money ;D

1 minute ago, MateuszHDHR1 said:

Started my journey by hearing from someone about btc, I did the research and got into the faucets, I was claiming them (around 300 per hour on freebitcoin :D) and that would be all

Then I met primedice and started to play with faucet there, also did a deposit later from my faucets to get busted ^^

Then I won a lottery on yolodice for 0.1 BTC, and I used that right so today I'm owning some money ;D

Haha, truly inspiring story @MateuszHDHR1! Amazing that you've never spent a dime on Bitcoin, and managed to acquire decently sized holdings it sounds like, solely through faucet claims and prizes. You'll have to give me some pointers ;). Thanks for sharing!

hey ya i had a freind who chewed my ears for a longtime this was 2009 and over the years we called him bitcoin chris and to be honest i thaught .. well nothing he was saying buy it it was 200 dollars then .. well as u can imagine i never till last year  i bought 100 dollars from him just to say i have some ... then i got sucked into pd .. and the rollin started.. and here we are .. should have could have didnt .... hindsight is a wonderful gift to have ,,, xx be lucky all 

31 minutes ago, MateuszHDHR1 said:

,wow the most successful story i ever heard so far,  and i remembered you won almost everyday on edward stream

9 hours ago, Dboyeric said:

,wow the most successful story i ever heard so far,  and i remembered you won almost everyday on edward stream

I won literally on every Ed's stream :D

Now with that money that I got I'm trying to finally start investing, first I failed with Burst coin which lost me 0.04 (damn now it's too much) and now I'm trying again investing in Electroneum 

The first time I really bought some BTC was not so long ago, around september 2017 or something like that.

I bought that on a little local website I never heard of before just because they didn't ask any legal paper (didn't have a valid ID card at the time). So it was cool but the amount I had purchase was low, it was 50€ max for a non verified user.

I was still happy to have my first BTC and the deal went very smoothly. I was thinking that the BTC price was a little high at the time because I tried to buy some since weeks (but was not able to verify on Coinbase & co), now i'm less pissed off :P I made a good return on those few bucks and start trading them at Bittrex since, making more money.

1 minute ago, Kargai said:

The first time I really bought some BTC was not so long ago, around september 2017 or something like that.

I bought that on a little local website I never heard of before just because they didn't ask any legal paper (didn't have a valid ID card at the time). So it was cool but the amount I had purchase was low, it was 50€ max for a non verified user.

I was still happy to have my first BTC and the deal went very smoothly. I was thinking that the BTC price was a little high at the time because I tried to buy some since weeks (but was not able to verify on Coinbase & co), now i'm less pissed off :P I made a good return on those few bucks and start trading them at Bittrex since, making more money.

Nice story @Kargai!! Thanks for sharing! yeah you'll pay more sometimes on LBC, but worth it a lot of times for convenience. I used to buy amazon e-giftcards and trade for btc on there w/out having to leave my couch, haha. Nice, are you just doing alt-coin trading and whatnot on Bittrex? I've never used before.

When was your first trade? 2015

What platform did you use to coordinate the trade? Mercado Livre

What was the payment method you used? CRedit Card

How much did you buy? 0.1

What rate did you purchase the Bitcoin at? nothing thats include on price, no one cares to rates that time

Did you know what you were doing? not sure xD

Were you excited/nervous or feeling something else? i was feeling amazing business girlxD

Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way?  so easy 

Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap? its all ok

What did you learn from the experience? dont sell anymore xD

17 minutes ago, jbenjaminy said:

Nice story @Kargai!! Thanks for sharing! yeah you'll pay more sometimes on LBC, but worth it a lot of times for convenience. I used to buy amazon e-giftcards and trade for btc on there w/out having to leave my couch, haha. Nice, are you just doing alt-coin trading and whatnot on Bittrex? I've never used before.

Yes those specific 50€ make like 200€ when the BTC price increased so much at the end of the year. So I sent the amount on Bittrex and since I had bought some altcoins : some Ripple at 0.25$, some Stellar before the rise, Cardano, ... all have pumped since making my 200 bucks a 800 bucks now.

I sold some of them this week (like 200€ out of those 800) to reinvest in some other coins to diversify my portfolio. Also bought a Nano Ledger to put some coins I wanna hold on the long term on it, like my Ripple left, and not let everything on Bittrex.

36 minutes ago, fabianabank said:

When was your first trade? 2015

What platform did you use to coordinate the trade? Mercado Livre

What was the payment method you used? CRedit Card

How much did you buy? 0.1

What rate did you purchase the Bitcoin at? nothing thats include on price, no one cares to rates that time

Did you know what you were doing? not sure xD

Were you excited/nervous or feeling something else? i was feeling amazing business girlxD

Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way?  so easy 

Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap? its all ok

What did you learn from the experience? dont sell anymore xD

Hahah! glad it went smoothly, and liked that you were feeling "amazing business girl" :D thanks for sharing @fabianabank!

53 minutes ago, Kargai said:

Yes those specific 50€ make like 200€ when the BTC price increased so much at the end of the year. So I sent the amount on Bittrex and since I had bought some altcoins : some Ripple at 0.25$, some Stellar before the rise, Cardano, ... all have pumped since making my 200 bucks a 800 bucks now.

I sold some of them this week (like 200€ out of those 800) to reinvest in some other coins to diversify my portfolio. Also bought a Nano Ledger to put some coins I wanna hold on the long term on it, like my Ripple left, and not let everything on Bittrex.

Awesome dude, thanks again for sharing. Best of luck!!

3 hours ago, jbenjaminy said:

where do you get  those amazin e-gift card from?

6 hours ago, Dboyeric said:

where do you get  those amazin e-gift card from?

Hey @Dboyeric, you can buy them just on amazon.com but make sure you have a trader who will accept them first. a lot of the traders on LBC require physical amazon gift cards which you can find at pharmacies/grocery stores in US at least.

Mid-2017, so quite recently

Bitcoin ATM located at a downtown pub

Cash

How much did you buy?

About 0.075

Around $2k

Sort of. It was all pretty straightforward 

Perhaps a little nervous

Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way? Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap?

Trade was smooth/successful 

Only some very basic things about BTC

6 minutes ago, xMossx said:

Mid-2017, so quite recently

Bitcoin ATM located at a downtown pub

Cash

How much did you buy?

About 0.075

Around $2k

Sort of. It was all pretty straightforward 

Perhaps a little nervous

Did the trade go smoothly, or did you run into difficulties along the way? Was the trade ultimately successful, or did you fall into a "noob" trap?

Trade was smooth/successful 

Only some very basic things about BTC

Awesome @xMossx! Buying/selling at atms is definitely a nice, safe convenience. I use them a lot now too, but they were non-existent (at least in US) when I made my first purchase!

when i made my first bitcoin purchase, i bought 0.025btc for a value of #2500 naira. i got worried because it was my first purchase online and it came into my wallet in a blink.of an eye. then i made other for 0.6btc which rollin.io took from me :(

On 07/01/2018 at 10:31, jbenjaminy said:

Hahah! glad it went smoothly, and liked that you were feeling "amazing business girl" :D thanks for sharing @fabianabank!

Awesome dude, thanks again for sharing. Best of luck!!

its like !!The Wolf of Wall Street" hahahahahaha