momo

Have any of you ever mined BTC (or any altcoins)?

I mined BTC and some other coins back in 2013 for a bit on my school-issued laptop lol. Since I couldn't afford to build my own rig I went ahead and tried cloud mining and it worked well for me. I started with a small investment, like maybe $50ish and bought some workers from Nicehash. There weren't as many altcoins back then but there were still a decent amount. I found some mining pools and set it to work overnight. I'd wake up with my initial investment's worth of coins and some extra profit. Kept doing this for some time but eventually the difficulty skyrocketed and tons of people started doing it so it wasn't anywhere near as profitable as the beginning. Had a good run though.

I'm curious if any of you have done any mining? If so, did you use a physical rig or cloud mining? Did you stick with only BTC or did you try other coins as well?

I mined BTCs on a normal desktop PC long time ago, difficulty was rising every day so I made some tens of mBTC. Also a few LTCs.

Decided to move to an easier newer coin, so mined FTCs with a desktop PC (a quad core Xeon), then bought a used Radeon video card and mined FTCs with it.

Too late I bought a pair of USB sticks for scrypt-mining, so Im currently mining LTCs with them but are already obsolete (and I didnt fully realized they were obsolete when I bought them), just trying to recover what I spend on them, with the current rise in LTC price I´m getting very near the point of ROI.... 

well for just learning i tried mining bitcoin with my computer.after that i mined various coins and made a little profits.

i remember when zcash blockchain started i mined with my notebook and earned 0.026 bitcoins :)

other than that i never had equipment for mining unfortunately :(

13 hours ago, maverick528 said:

I mined BTCs on a normal desktop PC long time ago, difficulty was rising every day so I made some tens of mBTC. Also a few LTCs.

Decided to move to an easier newer coin, so mined FTCs with a desktop PC (a quad core Xeon), then bought a used Radeon video card and mined FTCs with it.

Too late I bought a pair of USB sticks for scrypt-mining, so Im currently mining LTCs with them but are already obsolete (and I didnt fully realized they were obsolete when I bought them), just trying to recover what I spend on them, with the current rise in LTC price I´m getting very near the point of ROI.... 

Now everyone is using super high-end graphics cards to mine and it is absolutely worthless for your average joe to start mining. Kinda discouraging tbh..

9 hours ago, mikanja said:

Tried using my phone. Gave up quickly! Mining a bitcoin requires astronomical resources now!

Lol yeah there are literally people who dedicate their days to making mining farms in these giant warehouses now, it's crazy.

10 minutes ago, kolloh said:

I've done but its a slow process. The nicehash app is pretty decent for mining alts into btc.

No doubt, that was my favorite way to cloud mine. Plus with so many different altcoins nowadays you aren't limited to the same few coins with insane difficulty.

8 minutes ago, Dihru said:

Tried mining on my laptop but got bored it's not worth the time you spend

Yeah it's a really slow process and you need powerful a GPU. Even then, it is still quite slow and generates a lot of heat and power usage.

2 minutes ago, kolloh said:

Yeah it's a really slow process and you need powerful a GPU. Even then, it is still quite slow and generates a lot of heat and power usage.

If you happen to be lucky enough where someone else is paying for your electricity, it makes it a lot easier to start up without having to worry about the constant costs. But now you need pretty much the best of the best GPUs if you wanna make your own rig.

1 minute ago, kolloh said:

Hahaha yup

Made some minor investments in cloud mining sites like Genesis Mining and GAW Miners (remember when they still existed? Hah!).

Needless to say, I didn't ROI before they stopped paying out. Not doing that again! (I wasn't enough of an early adopter to do mining with my own hardware, unfortunately.)