Dan

Dream Job?

I remember thinking about this a lot while I was recently travelling through South East Asia with only my Backpack and Laptop strapped to me. People spend most of their life pursuing something they aren't passionate about, only to end up dissatisfied and unhappy. Why do we do this to ourselves? Is it lack of confidence in our abilities? Or do we just put ourselves in these positions because its all we think is available to us?

I was working as an IT manager for an Insurance company before I decided to sell everything and head off on ym adventure. I was unsatisfied with my life decisions and where I had ended up. Before I quit and left, I realised it didn't matter that I was making really good money, or that I was at the top of my chosen field.'The fact of the matter was, I wasn't happy, and that ultimately is what is important. Anyway I'm getting carried away here, I guess what I want to know, is if people have ever made these life changing decisions and what prompted them? Do you have a dream job?

I love reading this sort of stuff as it’s funny how it diversifies between so many people. It's a great conversation starter, and can often tell you a lot about a person.

that is Flock effect... we get raised in that way..  government and people around teach us that all life we need work hard and get us own apartment .. have a specialty have a hard job.. and things like that.. nobody think about do just what we like.. they think just to survive.. 

yes i changed my life.. on first place i start university of medicine in few years i start to become cold and unhappy..had long depression, i become aggressive.. i dont like who i start to become and i choice to change..is been a big decision for me my family dont support me on that.. but now i work in Homicide Criminology and i love my job... now i know i make a correct decision and i will do my job even for free :) 

i really salute you that can left your comfort zone, i can't do that but my dream job is can make a living with bitcoin. So i don't need to come to my office do the same thing everyday.

Edited by roomfirst

That is so awesome Dan, I actually have a similar desire to travel a lot. I already have lived in 5 cities since turning 18 it's why I became a Chef originally to have something to fall back on no matter where I am. I guess I don't have a dream job per say, Just a desire to experience what life has to offer and positively impact those I come into contact with on the way.

Great topic @Dan! I always wanted to travel alot and work less! To do that i got some ideas to work with - the best on was to be a trader (but i dont know how and where to start)!i tried freelancing -made good. $500 but it was really hectic and took alot of hardwork and was not what i wanted to do! I still want to travel and own fancy cars but for that i am still searching for career options that might enable me to live my life as i want! 

4 hours ago, rack001 said:

Great topic @Dan! I always wanted to travel alot and work less! To do that i got some ideas to work with - the best on was to be a trader (but i dont know how and where to start)!i tried freelancing -made good. $500 but it was really hectic and took alot of hardwork and was not what i wanted to do! I still want to travel and own fancy cars but for that i am still searching for career options that might enable me to live my life as i want! 

I personally trade most my money on the ASX here in Australia. I don;t consider myself a day trader though. I tend to take advantage of emotional situations that cause the market to crash, i.e. political events or reporting season. From there I stock up on any share that's incredibly undervalued, and then once it bounces back I usually sell for around 5-7% return. Then I wait for the next opportunity to do the same. I don't personally really diversify outside of the tech and healthcare sectors.'With that and a few dividend holdings, its pretty easy to travel Asia without requiring an income. With the right investments, and as little capital as perhaps even just $20k. You could spend 6 months in SE Asia comfortably living off of only dividends and your profits.

22 hours ago, JstLikeMagyk said:

That is so awesome Dan, I actually have a similar desire to travel a lot. I already have lived in 5 cities since turning 18 it's why I became a Chef originally to have something to fall back on no matter where I am. I guess I don't have a dream job per say, Just a desire to experience what life has to offer and positively impact those I come into contact with on the way.

When I first got out of high school I tested the waters as an apprentice Chef for the same reason, and then tried out as a Butcher, before deciding to move into IT. Both those hospitality professions you can travel with so easily and was always a big motivator. Hows the industry for you now? (Are you still in it?) Have you been able to travel with it yet?

My dream job is to be chef  in a fancy resto or cruise ship & also to be FA, but due to financial problem i didnt pursue my dream. I took up IT instead because the tuition fee here is much more cheaper then i finish but eventually didnt find a good job because its not i really want. Maybe soon i will reach my dreams but now i will be a cook on our house lol & fly on my dreams :D

Edited by Jenn09

I honestly cant think of a job in particular! Yes there are many jobs i'd love to have but not on the long run! Perhaps something in my field of study bc i love it! I'm studying MSE so, yeah... :) 

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I personally trade most my money on the ASX here in Australia. I don;t consider myself a day trader though. I tend to take advantage of emotional situations that cause the market to crash, i.e. political events or reporting season. From there I stock up on any share that's incredibly undervalued, and then once it bounces back I usually sell for around 5-7% return. Then I wait for the next opportunity to do the same. I don't personally really diversify outside of the tech and healthcare sectors.'With that and a few dividend holdings, its pretty easy to travel Asia without requiring an income. With the right investments, and as little capital as perhaps even just $20k. You could spend 6 months in SE Asia comfortably living off of only dividends and your profits.

When I first got out of high school I tested the waters as an apprentice Chef for the same reason, and then tried out as a Butcher, before deciding to move into IT. Both those hospitality professions you can travel with so easily and was always a big motivator. Hows the industry for you now? (Are you still in it?) Have you been able to travel with it yet?

I'm currently studying my computer science degree (albeit slowly) via open  education, online. I am still in the industry although the last year I've worked quite sporadically at festivals and home/living shows for two catering companies, I've lived in Cairns/Port Douglas/Sydney/Auckland and Wellington so far for work and in the last year got to travel a bit of New Zealand, So yes for most people they'd say a lot. In my opinion not really :P I find the industry heavily changing due to TV and other culture shifts. Angry chefs are not given much time of day at all unless they have a very impressive skill set as kitchens all become more open plan and the NZ hospo industry in general seems to have a much more professional manner than, Aussies. Less cowboys as a friend puts it but I'm hoping I can move home in the near future before taking off overseas.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Great to hear that you trade too! I will be starting trading soon and travelling too! Thanks for the inspiration! 

Since I was a kid. I wanna be a soldier.

Till my 3rd year in highschool. changed my mind.
Was undecided till I graduatd in highschool

Now:
taking vet. med as my uncle suggested 
Planning to focus in wildlife and research.

P.S. I really love animals but I'm not really sure if im for this field.