mikanja

Video game violence

Back then when cartoons and other forms of media were just starting, people feared the unknown effects it might bring especially the violence portrayed in these mediums.

There were even cases in other countries where the struggle reached in courts. Remember Mortal Kombat and Doom 95? We can totally laugh at the pixelized graphics right now, but I heard it was such a news back then.

Times have changed I guess, with how animation advanced and the availability of internet and wide variety of content, I think people got desensitized.

But that doesn't mean we should let our guard off. There was this case few years ago when two 12 year olds girls planned to kill their friend because Slender Man told them so. 

I also heard cases where about kids rampaging in streets and the court thinks Grand Theft Auto is to be blamed.

and so lucky that so far, compared to US I haven't heard much of a recent massive school shooting happening in my country 

I'm just a bit worried of the young generation today. 

On 9/15/2017 at 16:05, Zephiera said:

There are a lot of people who play these kind of games but the majority doesn't become violent.

The industry and the retailers are usually good with rating the games and selling them to the intended audience. The mental health of the individual has a lot to do with how the violence in games affect them. For some that have "healthy" minds,  they know it's only for entertainment and realize that they shouldn't recreate these scenarios  in real life. For others, it has a different and a darker effect on their psyche. 

5 hours ago, NyaoNyao said:

For some that have "healthy" minds,  they know it's only for entertainment and realize that they shouldn't recreate these scenarios  in real life. For others, it has a different and a darker effect on their psyche. 

This! :P

I just remembered there was a tv show about how to understand a Criminal's Mind and some people who has the potential to become one even though they lived peacefully before. I just forgot what channel maybe it is Discovery :|

first and foremost, there's nothing to blame to the media because it's their job to provide entertainment to people as well as to the internet or game developers. the parents should be the one be held responsible. that's the purpose of age's discretion.. 

On 6/18/2017 at 02:15, mikanja said:

Back then when cartoons and other forms of media were just starting, people feared the unknown effects it might bring especially the violence portrayed in these mediums.

There were even cases in other countries where the struggle reached in courts. Remember Mortal Kombat and Doom 95? We can totally laugh at the pixelized graphics right now, but I heard it was such a news back then.

Times have changed I guess, with how animation advanced and the availability of internet and wide variety of content, I think people got desensitized.

But that doesn't mean we should let our guard off. There was this case few years ago when two 12 year olds girls planned to kill their friend because Slender Man told them so. 

I also heard cases where about kids rampaging in streets and the court thinks Grand Theft Auto is to be blamed.

and so lucky that so far, compared to US I haven't heard much of a recent massive school shooting happening in my country 

I'm just a bit worried of the young generation today. 

Back in 1995 when I play mortal kombat in Sega 16 bit, their fatality and brutality so scary at the moment

On 9/24/2017 at 13:44, Noeprellik1 said:

Back in 1995 when I play mortal kombat in Sega 16 bit, their fatality and brutality so scary at the moment

Have you seen the Fatalities in the new MK game? It's amazingly Brutal! @_____@

On 15/9/2017 at 10:05, Zephiera said:

The blame should be on their parents. There are a lot of people who play these kind of games but the majority doesn't become violent. It says a lot about their upbringing.

but it is obvious.
in the same way we should criticize cinema, literature and art in general. it's impossible

On 9/27/2017 at 07:34, NeStore said:

but it is obvious.
in the same way we should criticize cinema, literature and art in general. it's impossible

Well I guess you're right about that. :|Reminders, limitations, and moderation will help lessen the possibility of violence I think.

Perception of violence for everyone individually. 1 in 100 will problems with the head and 99 will remain normal people.

Video games here and nothing. Just a man inclined to violence.

On 10/20/2017 at 22:18, Plummer said:

Is thinking video games incite violence still a thing? I haven't heard someone parroting this myth in a while now.

Pretty sure someone or some group out there is preaching it lol

On 10/20/2017 at 22:18, Plummer said:

Is thinking video games incite violence still a thing? I haven't heard someone parroting this myth in a while now.

it depends who plays with it. that's the purpose of age discretion right?

6 hours ago, Mistletoe said:

Ive seen many kids grow as a normal teenagers despite of playing this type of video games, watching wrestling and endless Tom & Jerry episodes.  i guess it all depends on the community the kid is in and his parents guidance 

Yep just like me lol. I played different kinds of violent games but I never committed any crime. It did not influence my mind.B| I have Mortal Kombat on my Vita. The fatality scenes are cool!

27 minutes ago, CaptainLorca said:

I guess its one thing. A kid is influenced by its surroundings. So.. if a child gets molested at school or whatever, it will maybe freak out. Doesn't matter if he played Doom or whatever or not.

Trauma it is. ?

46 minutes ago, NyaoNyao said:

I relate. The disturbing things I've done with my Sims would probably send chills down someone's spine. But I have never felt the compulsion to do that in real life!

Are you still playing it? I stopped at Sims 3 ?. I like messing with mine too. I drown them, trap them, burn them..and..oops ?

6 hours ago, Zephiera said:

Trauma it is. ?

Are you still playing it? I stopped at Sims 3 ?. I like messing with mine too. I drown them, trap them, burn them..and..oops ?

Not lately no. I played up to a few expansion of TS4. I'm waiting for the mobile version where I can continue to tortu- I mean play with my Sims! LOL

On 12/5/2017 at 00:40, CaptainLorca said:

I guess its one thing. A kid is influenced by its surroundings. So.. if a child gets molested at school or whatever, it will maybe freak out. Doesn't matter if he played Doom or whatever or not.

Lol Doom. I missed this game. Sorry for the off topic. I just felt happy to hear this game's name again xD good old days..

Im done reminiscing. continue with the topic people :v 

On 12/5/2017 at 08:00, NyaoNyao said:

Not lately no. I played up to a few expansion of TS4. I'm waiting for the mobile version where I can continue to tortu- I mean play with my Sims! LOL

Wait but there are lots of The Sims mobile game already right. What specific TS game are you looking for? 

Funny that violence is possible with this game. ?